How to find a missing number in a sequence
- Determine if the order of numbers is ascending (getting larger in value) or descending (becoming smaller
- Find the difference between numbers that are next to each other.
- Use the difference between numbers to find the missing number.
Example: Find the missing number: 30, 23, ?, 9
- The order of numbers is going down or descending.
- The difference between numbers is 30 - 23 = 7
- Since the order is descending subtract 7 from 23. The missing number may be 16.
- The missing number is 16 since it is 7 more than the last number 9.